Important Membership Updates (May 10th)
Dear Fellow Members, your Board continues to meet regularly to discuss next steps towards reopening the Club. With your help, and as soon as we receive the regulatory “green light”, we will be ready to jump into action to start whatever activities are permitted. In the meantime, I offer the following updates;
Government announcements this week contained mixed messages regarding what facilities may be allowed to reopen, and when. Nevertheless, our Manager (Warren Place) has begun working on routine pre-season maintenance activities in advance of Club programs starting. In addition, this seasons delay has provided us with an opportunity to undertake some necessary repair work to the decayed supports at the SE corner of the Clubhouse, as well as replace some metal sheeting to small portions of the roof. This work is high priority that was budgeted for at our last AGM.
After a lengthy discussion with the Mayor earlier this week I am able to report that the Municipality has now formally agreed to acquire the Hydro Quebec lands along the riverfront. The transaction is expected to close in September and will provide the Municipality with the ability to offer Chelsea residents 2 or 3 access points along the river. Access at the bottom of Summerlea Rd. (i.e. the GYRC entrance) is not under consideration and, according to the Mayor, is simply not feasible as an access point due to road and parking constraints. The Mayor has also offered to meet with members at some future date to answer any questions we may have regarding this issue.
On a very positive note, some 98% of our membership have now renewed. Only two adult and two family members have chosen not to rejoin this year, leaving us with 272 members (note: the membership cap is 277). We also welcome back the following four Retaining members as Full members: Neil Rask, Scott Lemay, Linda Weckler and the Bieri family. Once again, thank you to all for your continued support.
As of this writing, the Quebec government has indicated that day camps with outdoor programming will be permitted to operate this summer. We will know more in the coming weeks about any adaptations or restrictions required for the delivery of our camps, but at this point we remain hopeful for another summer of sailing for our YP campers.
|Event/Activity/Program||Status as of May 10th|
|Bridge Down / Club Opening||Postponed until further notice|
|Ice-breaker / New Member BBQ||Cancelled|
|Junior Program (Sailing Camp)||No change at this time|
|Spring Series (Dinghy’s & Big Boats)||Postponed until further notice|
As mentioned previously, your Board is continuing to follow all Government updates. However, the island must remain closed for the moment and we ask for your ongoing patience and cooperation in this regard.
We’ll be back in touch again soon, until then please take care and stay well.
Have a question? Need help? Reach out.
David Raymond, GRYC’s Vice-Commodore and Chief Safety Officer will be the single point of contact for fielding any questions you may have. He will be the liaison between GRYC members and the Board. You can reach David using this email address: email@example.com