COVID19 update

Important Membership Updates (April 19th)

Dear Members,

In sailing terminology, we have clearly entered “uncharted waters” – there’s still so much we don’t know, or can’t predict. What we do know is that Quebec has extended the closure of non-essential businesses until May 4th and Ottawa has cancelled all planned activities until June 30th. Therefore, the Club will not be opening on May 2nd for Bridge Down as originally planned. However, based on what is happening in other countries, there is reason to remain optimistic that we may still enjoy a partial season. For now, here are some important updates:

Renewal Deadline: April 15th 

The membership renewal deadline is April 15th. We’re thrilled that over two thirds of our members have already renewed their memberships.

Retaining Membership Option

Whether you have already renewed, or haven’t yet renewed, you may consider the option of changing your status to Retaining Member *. The fee is $145.00. This option allows you to suspend your membership rights and responsibilities for one (or more) seasons. This includes (but isn’t limited to): voting privileges, island access, volunteer duties, and club activities. 

*Retaining Member Bylaw 4 (e) “An existing member, who for personal, economic or logistical reasons will not be using the Club facilities for a season or more; may pay a reduced fee to prevent his membership from lapsing; and may resume active membership in a future season, with no restrictions placed by the membership limit (i.e. membership limit may only be temporarily exceeded to account for the above situation), without being subject to repayment of initiation fees.”

Youth Program

The Junior program sessions 1 and 2 are now essentially full, with registration ongoing for sessions 3 and 4. We will continue to monitor the Covid-19 situation and are in regular contact with both Voile Quebec and Sail Canada to ensure we are following their guidelines. Should we face a modified program or shortened season, refunds for cancelled sessions will be offered and we will do our best to accommodate sailors into subsequent sessions if they wish. As always, we will do our best to share updates with you as soon as we receive them.

Suspension of the Entire Season

If the Board determines at some future date that the Club will not be able or allowed to operate throughout the balance of our season, all memberships will be converted to Retaining status. A refund will be made for the difference between the value of the full membership paid and the current Retaining fee of $145. I stress it is too soon to know when or if this decision will become necessary, however we do know our members will come together to support the club as best they can during these extraordinary times. 

Event/Activity/ProgramStatus as of April 12th
Membership RenewalDeadline remains April 15th (extended from April 1st)
Bridge Down / Club OpeningPostponed until further notice
Ice-breaker / New Member BBQPostponed until further notice
Junior Program (Sailing Camp)No change at this time

Happy Easter, please make sure the Easter bunny washes their paws before coming into your house!

Geoff Erskine, Commodore

Have a question? Need help? Reach out. 

David Raymond, GRYC’s Vice-Commodore and Chief Safety Officer is currently our single point of contact for fielding any questions you may have. He will be the liaison between GRYC members and the Board. You can reach David using this email address: