Membership info and fees
Membership is limited to a maximum of 280 individuals/families. The Board of Directors determines the number of available spaces (if any) each year. This happens after the deadline for existing member renewal (normally by the end of May or early June). Priority is given to applicants with an interest in sailing demonstrated by:
- Previous sailing experience.
- An interest in learning to sail by participating in GRYC races and regattas or casual events as a sailor, crew, race official, crash boat operator, or other supporting role.
- Enrolling children in the Youth Program (summer sailing camps).
We know priorities can shift due to unforeseen circumstances. A retaining membership is available if members can't use the club for personal, economic, or logistical reasons.
Want to apply? See below.
- Seasonal access to GRYC boats, facilities, participation in weekend races, the Annual Regatta, and other great events.
- Participation in the free Learn to Sail Program offered to all members. This weekend clinic provides instruction ranging from tying knots to rigging boats, from the basics of sailing to advanced racing techniques.
- Reduced fees for Youth Program registration. The Youth Program offers CYA-accredited sailing instruction for children aged 9-16 in a fun, safe summer day camp atmosphere.
- Social activities including Wednesday night BBQs, dances, and other fun events.
- Voting rights for Primary and Secondary members at AGMs.
- Care of the islands and club property.
- Compliance with club bylaws, regulations and policies.
- Compliance with standard safety practices.
- A minimum of one full day of volunteer service to the club per season for each family member over the age of 16.
- Payment in full of all initiation fees, annual dues and other miscellaneous charges.
GRYC is volunteer-driven. Members are expected to contribute to help the club run smoothly and keep costs down.
A wide range of volunteer activities are available and suitable for different skills and ages. We make easy through an online system. The club posts all volunteer positions for the entire season and advertise vacant spots in the e-newsletter.
New members are subject to a two-year period of provisional membership before becoming full members.
During that time, provisional members can demonstrate their interest in the club by participating in a variety of activities. You're asked to complete at least one item from each of the following categories:
- Sailing program: Participate in a sailing-related activities such as the Learn to Sail program, Sunday races, regatta weekend, crash boat operator or race official, and more.
- Social activities: Participate in a non-sailing event like club birthdays, sail-o-rama, club nights, awards night, and more.
- Volunteering: Complete volunteer requirements (a minimum of one day per adult member).
- Governance: Attend the Annual General Meeting in November or serve on a committee (regatta, sailing, youth, social, harbour, facilities, etc.).
New members who complete the above requirements will have the provisional status removed and become full members. If the provisional requirements weren't completed, the membership won't be renewed and half (1/2) the initiation fee will be refunded.
Membership renewal and fees are due April 1st, 2023
|Membership type||Annual fee|
|Retaining||$344 (Family); $255 (Adult)|
|One-time initiation fees|
|Family||$904 (one payment)|
|$953(two payments of $476.50/year)|
|Adult single||$455 (one payment)|
|$481 (two payments of $240.50/year )|
|Non-volunteering fine (Adult)||$259|
|Non-volunteering fine (Family)||$433|
|Mooring type||Seasonal fee|
|Boats may be stored on the island or in the parking lot during the winter and items stored in lockers for the winter at the member's own risk.|
|Finger dock (Catwalk)||$233|
|Laser rack or dolly||$86|
|Big boat summer/winter storage||$79|
We value your support
Allan Richens Memorial Fund
On December 31, 2012 we lost the last surviving founding member of the GRYC. Allan was an extraordinary man. In consultation with his family, we set up a permanent memorial fund. It provides bursaries to deserving young people sailing in our junior program. It also supports our increasingly successful youth racing team. We fundraise through annual appeals and events. Please donate generously.